What is Embryo Detox and Who Can Benefit?
Head of the World Infertility and IVF Association, Member of the Board of the Mediterranean Countries Reproduction Association, Medical Director of Gürgan Clinic Prof. Dr. Timur Gürgan explained:
Are there new treatments for these patients?
Yes, it is necessary to mention about Embryo Detox Treatment and Combined Embryo Detox Therapy.
In these studies;
3) Support of embryo maturation cells: In this group, special maturation cells obtained from the ovaries and multiplied are separated and fertilized eggs are left to develop together with these cells. Egg maturation cells, which are the cells that help the development and nutrition of the embryo cells with hormones and special substances they release by surrounding them, support the embryos and help them to develop in a better quality.
4) Application of Granulocyte-Macrophage Stimulating Factor (GM-CSF) added to embryo culture fluids at appropriate concentrations: In this group, culture fluid (GM-CSF) containing factors / growth hormones that help successful egg fertilization is used.
5) Application of both supportive systems together: In this group, both treatment methods are applied.
5th day is important in embryo development
The development of embryos after these treatments are followed and monitored on the 5th day, after 5th day those who reach the highest maturity level are transferred into the uterus.
According to the results obtained from the control groups in all of these treatments, blastocyst development and pregnancy rates increased and the rate of miscarriage decreased.
Three separate studies were conducted on Embryo Detox and Combined Embryo Detox Therapy:
- In the study, 159 women who had low embryo quality due to various reasons or who did not develop pregnancy despite two or more IVF treatments were included in the study group. Embryo maturation support cells were used for these women. As a result, the rate of reaching the 5th day in the treated embryos was 56%, and the pregnancy rate was 40%. The same rates were 32.3% and 24.3% for those who were not treated, and as can be seen, they were significantly lower than those who received treatment.
- In the study, the embryo maturing support cells of 45 women with polycystic ovaries under the age of 35 were separated during the egg collection process and mature embryo maturation cells were selected and developed in special fluids. After fertilization of the obtained female eggs with sperm, these special embryo maturing cells continued to be nourished and supported the eggs. Cumulus egg support was not applied to 40 women with polycystic ovary syndrome. The embryo quality was found to be better and the rate of having a fifth day embryo (blastocyst) was found to be higher in the group in which maturation cell support was applied to the embryo. It has been observed that the pregnancy rates seen after the embryo transfer of patients with polycystic ovary syndrome who were given maturation cell support to their fertilized eggs were also increased. While 51.6 percent of pregnancy was achieved in patients in the support group, 30.4 percent of pregnancy was achieved in patients who did not receive support. The miscarriage rate has decreased.
In this study, 12 women received combined therapy. In this group, the pregnancy rate increased even more and was found to be 55%.
- Studies on culture fluid (GM-CSF), which contain factors / growth hormones that aid egg fertilization, have been ongoing internationally for a long time. The results of over 1500 studies conducted by Danish, Australian, Greek and Italian scientists have been published. In these studies, it has been reported that the use of the mentioned culture fluid increases the possibility of embryos to go to the blastocyst phase, provides better quality embryo development, and reduces the miscarriage rates, especially in patients who experienced miscarriages before.
We conducted a study to find out the results of combined embryo detox therapy, which included 45 cases with 2 or more in vitro fertilization trials or 2 or more early pregnancy loss. The number of embryos reaching the 5th day under laboratory conditions has increased. We achieved a pregnancy rate of 44.4% in the cases for which we obtained the results. In these, only one pregnancy resulted in miscarriage.
One of the pregnant women had 7 previous unsuccessful IVF applications.
Our completed and ongoing studies, the results of which we have shared above, show that 3 different laboratory techniques, which we call Embryo Detox, increase the chances of IVF success when applied alone or together. This increase can reach a significant level, especially in women with 2 or more IVF failures, a high rate of early pregnancy loss in previous pregnancies, and polycystic ovary syndrome.
It is possible that the results we will obtain by increasing the number of patients in our practice, which we call Combined Embryo Detox, will enter the world literature if they support the successful rates we obtained in the first data. As far as we know, our study on this treatment application will be the first study in the world.
In IVF treatments, it is thought that when embryo maturing support cells or culture fluids containing GM-CSF is used alone or in combination, they increase the chance of pregnancy and reduce the possibility of miscarriage by solving the problems related to the quality of the embryo.